Monday, June 27, 2011

Salad Woes

Being all confident after one week of feeling "better" (my 16th week- and everyone said if you are not better by 12 then for sure by 16- so I was perfectly on schedule) I ate a salad again.

Now, I love eating salad. I don't feel gross while I am enjoying the farm fresh greens-- but after a few hours of salad digestion, bad things happen- TE and I have decided that this baby does NOT like salad. At least not yet anyway. I won't be eating a salad again for another month or so.... Will need to find veggies in other ways.

But on a happier/more funny side. I am thinking of starting a series of "Things Pregnant Girls Like to Eat" (or at least this pregnant girl). For today's edition I even have a recipe!! Be forewarned, it is not healthy or gourmet or something to be proud of (unless you are entering a comfort food contest). But here it is, and it was soooo good!

Homemade Cheeseburger Helper (made 5 servings)

8oz Pasta of your choice, cooked
1lb of lean ground beef, cooked and drained

Cheese Sauce: Modified from here

  • 3 tablespoons butter
  • 3 tablespoons flour
  • 1 tablespoon powdered mustard
  • 1.5 cups half and half, 1.5 cups skim milk
  • 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
  • 8 ounces sharp cheddar, shredded
Melt the butter. Whisk in the flour and mustard and keep it moving for about five minutes (will turn golden in color). 
Make sure it's free of lumps. Stir in the milk and cayenne. 
Stir in the cheese. Season with salt and pepper.
Fold the macaroni/beef into the mix and serve!

2 comments:

meg said...

don't worry i went from eating tater tots & sour patch kids to pretty much anything in site. it will get better! recipe looks delicious!

rachel said...

Yep, I lived on blueberries, grapes, and watermelon...oh, and pineapple. I think around this point when when I had to start the meat diet, so your hamburger helper is totally perfect! Grow, baby, grow! :)