Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Research

So I have been doing some research on CR. It is amazing what you can find on the internet (what am I 80?!); there are so many other people who regularly follow CR and are blogging about their experience!

The first blog I found was April's CR diary (link): she has been CR'd (lingo for calorie restricted) since 2004! She posts mostly recipes and rants, and from what I can tell (I have only read ~3mo worth) she loves being on a CR diet. April actually does an "extreme" CRON (calorie restriction with optimal nutrition) diet and considers CR a "glorified version of weight watchers."

April's blog has prompted me to start thinking about how I am going to get the most out of my daily calories. What I eat on this diet is entirely up to me (nothing is off limits) as long as I stay within my daily calorie count. So I, in my well fed mental state, thought I would make lists of my favorite things first to find out their calorie content, and second to try out cooking lower calorie versions of them. This way I will still have calories leftover at the end of the day if my experimentation ends badly!
Tonight:
Make: Cauliflower Soup (a CRON recipe from April's blog)
1 head of cauliflower- processed in food processor
Vegetable ("no chicken") broth
and seasoning (garlic, etc.)
Research: The calorie content of my Pop-pop's linguini with clam sauce. My ultimate comfort food-- I have a feeling it is not going to be pretty. Luckily KBW made an equally yummy, lighter red clam version for me not too long ago- so maybe I will attempt that one too.

Wish me luck!


If you are interested in an article about one journalist's efforts to go CR for 2mo- see this New York Magazine article: (link)
*April references this article in her latest blog*

No comments: