I am starting from the bottom of the list :)
Sesame Crusted Tofu Sticks with Shiitake Mushrooms
Yield- 6 servings (this made 3 "Liz size" servings- double the nutritional information)From Cooking Light
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1 cup dry breadcrumbs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 1 (15-ounce) package extra-firm tofu, drained and cut into 18 sticks (we only had 12 sticks)
- 2 tablespoons dark sesame oil, divided
- 1 (6-ounce) can pineapple juice
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup chopped shallots
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 pound shiitake mushroom caps (about 10 mushrooms)
- 2 cups (2-inch) sliced green onions
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Japanese sweet and sour sauce (such as ABC sauce; optional)
To prepare tofu, combine first 4 ingredients in a shallow dish. Combine breadcrumbs, flour, and sesame seeds in a shallow dish.
Dip tofu, one piece at a time, in egg mixture; dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Return tofu to egg mixture; dredge in breadcrumb mixture. Repeat procedure with remaining tofu, egg mixture, and breadcrumb mixture.
Heat 1 tablespoon oil in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of tofu; cook 4 minutes, turning to brown all sides. Remove from pan. Repeat procedure with remaining oil and tofu. Keep warm.
To prepare vegetables, pour pineapple juice into pan. Bring to a boil; cook until juice is reduced to 1/4 cup (about 5 minutes). Remove from pan.
Heat pan coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add shallots, minced garlic, and mushrooms; sauté 4 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add green onions, tomatoes, and thyme, and cook 1 minute. Stir in pineapple juice and balsamic vinegar, and cook 30 seconds.
Arrange about 1/2 cup vegetable mixture on each of 6 plates; top each serving with 3 tofu sticks. Drizzle with 1/2 teaspoon sweet and sour sauce, if desired. Serve immediately.
Calories: 253 (29% from fat)
Fat: 8.1g (sat 1.4g,mono 3g,poly 3.1g)
- Protein: 12.5g
- Carbohydrate: 32.9g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 36mg
- Iron: 3.5mg
- Sodium: 846mg
- Calcium: 119mg