Thursday, February 5, 2009

Tortilla Soup


This soup was an interesting adventure.... It turned out way too spicy- I needed to add 2x the amount of chicken broth than the recipe called for just to cut the heat and so my guests could survive the meal.
They were good sports about it- I think they remembered my first chili experience... The recipe was called 5-alarm chili and I am not sure if it called for 3 whole habanero peppers or that is just what I used, not knowing any better... Regardless- it was HOT. TE and Kate ate it at a 1:1 ratio of chili:sour cream (I have good, supportive friends!). This meal reminded me of that experience...
It was tasty in the end, but I will have to rethink the adobos and jalapenos next time.

The original recipe was from my favorite chefs at CI, but I modified it (or butchered it) so I could cook it in my slow-cooker. Here it is, in all it's spicy glory!

Tortilla Soup
(makes way more than 12 servings... I overestimated the calories to be 200/cup)

Tortillas
Each soup gets 1 toasted tortilla broken into pieces (60cal each)
Spray with cooking spray/oil and salt
Bake at 350 until toasted to preferable doneness

Soup
1.5lbs bone-in skinless chicken breasts
8c Low sodium chicken broth (that ended up being 16c)
1 large onion, quartered and peeled
4 cloves of garlic, peeled
2 medium tomatoes, cored and quartered
1 canned chipotle chili, with 1T adobo sauce
1 chopped jalapeno

Garnish
Lime wedge
1/4 of a diced avocado


Add all of the soup ingredients to slow-cooker and cook for 8hrs+ on low
Remove the chicken from pot and remove all bones and shred chicken
Strain vegetables from broth
Put chicken back into pot, keep warm until ready to serve
Serve with tortilla chips, lime, and avocados and enjoy!

No comments: