This post will be dedicated to a recipe for Savory Breakfast Muffins. First I made these as instructed... Photo courtesy of Eating Well... My muffins do look pretty similar to these photos!
- 2 cups whole-wheat flour
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/3 cups buttermilk
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1 cup thinly sliced scallions, (about 1 bunch)
- 3/4 cup diced Canadian bacon, (3 ounces)
- 1/2 cup grated Cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup finely diced red bell pepper
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat 12 muffin cups with cooking spray.
- Combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda, pepper and salt in a large bowl.
- Whisk eggs, buttermilk, oil and butter in a medium bowl. Fold in scallions, bacon, cheese and bell pepper. Make a well in the center of the dry ingredients. Add the wet ingredients and mix with a rubber spatula until just moistened. Scoop the batter into the prepared pan (the cups will be very full).
- Bake the muffins until the tops are golden brown, 20 to 22 minutes. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes. Loosen the edges and turn the muffins out onto a wire rack to cool slightly before serving.
Per muffin: 217 calories; 9 g fat (3 g sat, 4 g mono); 50 mg cholesterol; 24 g carbohydrates; 9 g protein; 3 g fiber; 339 mg sodium; 113 mg potassium.
The end result was, eh. They were fine. Very strong pepper flavor, not much cheese flavor. And maybe a little dry.
The second time was also good, less fiber than the original- but these will be the ones I will make again.
Liz's Savory Breakfast Muffins
2 boxes of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix, made as directed
1 bunch of chopped scallions
1/2c chopped red pepper
30z Canadian Bacon
Mix, Bake, Enjoy!
Calorie information is similar, if not less, than the original.
And the muffin is much more moist and enjoyable!