Thursday, October 9, 2008

ADF vs. Yom Kippur

I am fasting today for Yom Kippur. It is 5pm and even though I have consumed liquid calories today (2.5c skim milk) I feel like I can not focus, I do not want to move much, and thinking about work is making my head spin-- I can only manage 1 experiment today (I know I should not even be here). It is one that I frequently mess up so I need all the attention I can muster. These effects of fasting make me think about how people actually maintain an "alternate-day fasting diet."
The poll results are in and not surprisingly, CR is the big winner (I voted, so only 3 of you out there would do a CR diet and 1 ADF- the rest of you- not dieters, I understand).
The one thing that is nice thing about fasting today is that I now have ~1400 calories for dinner tonight. KBW is making a yummy Eating Well recipe, I am going to bring a vegetable/salad- so we will see how I feel after eating 1,000 calories in a small amount of time. Previously, when I have saved up serious calories for a big meal (amazing, all you can eat sushi) I have disappointed myself by not actually being able to eat much over 1,000cal in one sitting... I will have to work on that.
Upcoming posts: Single girl dinners, Cook's Illustrated Cheesecake (so so yum!), and my own recipe in progress: Paella stuffed peppers! Will catch up when brain resumes functioning :)

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I've gone through the exact opposite of not being able to eat to much. During the swim season in college, myself and many of my male teammates could easily consume upwards of 5,000-6,000 calories a day. When the season ended, I had to train myself to not eat that extra 3,500 calories, a similar feeling to fasting.