Friday, April 18, 2008

Veggie Heaven

TE was out last night and I was craving Indian food. I blame my 1-hour group meeting for the craving-- We spent the hour reviewing restaurant menus to identify the healthiest options (and outlining all the things we love to eat but will not...). I brought my favorite Indian restaurant menu, an Ethiopian menu and a Jewish deli menu. So by the time I left I was starving!
I was about to call in my order for naan and chana masala (chickpeas in a spicy red sauce- not my typical order but a healthy option) when I thought of the can of chickpeas in my pantry. I decided it would be better/healthier/more fun to make my own! It was great and lucky for me TE was not home. There is nothing he hates more than my "curry vegetable stew." I love curry and Indian spices, and maybe at one point I was a bit too liberal with my use of curry, but he was not home so I went all out! Here is the recipe

Chana Masala- serves 4, 250cal per serving
1 small onion diced and cooked in 1/4c vegetable broth to soften
1 15.5oz chick peas (rinsed)
1 15.5oz can diced tomatoes (with juice)
1 bag of Quorn tenders (Yay for my reunion with fake meats! This is a fake chicken product that I also may have also overused... maybe)
curry
turmeric
all spice
cinnamon
hot pepper flakes

Instead of naan, I toasted a whole wheat roll (90cal) added canoleo (66cal- canola oil margarine) and garlic salt.

Since I also wanted dessert- I made "No Pudge" brownies (1 box= 12 servings at 82cal/brownie) and had that with strawberries and 2T whipped cream. A perfect dinner!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

"We all went down the New Delhi,
we had too much curry, aching bellies." - The MaccLads 1985

Anonymous said...

That sounds so good...I guess I'm really hungry!!

I'm impressed that it wasn't hard to make. I love Indian food, but it seems to be one of those things that I deem only restaurants are capable of making! :)